Thursday, August 23, 2012

Not Up to Me


(From August 7, 2012)

For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; it is he who will save us. - Isaiah 33:22

I read recently (and I’m paraphrasing) that a main difference with Christianity compared to all other faiths is that it is the only faith in which God has done it all for you; in turn it is the only faith in which you give up your autonomy.

Which makes the faith untenable to many, maybe most. 

It means that our relationship with God matters not one bit on what you, or I, do.  It’s not up to me.  It’s not about the judging I do (that I probably shouldn’t); it’s not about the laws I create and abide by (well, maybe I abide by), it’s not about whomever or whatever I set up as king in my life (we all have kings that we idolize).  This is also not an argument for antinomianism; following Jesus comes with responsibilities.  But it is about who is in charge.

Year ago I remember seeing a poster for a local Christian concert. At the bottom of the poster was this statement: “Free Admission: The Price Has Been Paid”. 

Yep.  That about sums it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment