Thursday, August 23, 2012

Good Works


(From August 14, 2012)

"For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." - Ephesians2:10

Yesterday I commented on the first part of this verse ofScripture. This morning I’m moving eightwords further in. After Paul writes, "Forwe are God’s handiwork,” he then states, “created in Christ Jesus to do goodworks….”

I mentioned yesterday that the first part (God’shandiwork) was a universal truth, applicable to all with no exceptions. “Created in Christ Jesus to do good works” isalso a universal statement. It appliesto all. But things get sticky. That maybe why we were created, but we so often fail. It could be because we don’t acknowledge the one who made us in hisimage as his handiwork. For some it maybe because they just don’t care about the One we were created “in.”

For me, as I’ve mentioned in the past, it boils down tofrequently living as a functional atheist. I spend too much time just doing ‘stuff’…and not necessarily doing the‘good works’ that Christ created me for. Even sometimes I question what I am doing for the church that sometimes feelsmore like doing ‘stuff.’ For instance, Itypically spend most of my Monday reading, researching, writing and praying(gee, imagine that!) over and about my next sermon. Yesterday was no different. Yet, I have to question: is this doing thegood works of Christ? OK, most of the time I can answer definitively “yes.” Butnot without a nagging feeling that I should be out somewhere doing (an action)the good works that Christ created me for. I hate that nagging feeling. But maybe the nagging is that subtleprodding of the Holy Spirit spurring me on. Maybe.

The apostle Paul wrestled with this also. At one point hewrote, “When I want to do good, evil is right there with me.” (Visit Romans7:21) OK, sermon writing is not an evil,but my inclination to not do the good works that God created me for…is.

I’m thankful this morning for the grace we have inJesus. I’m thankful this morning thatour Lord has overcome my inclinations. So let’s make a deal. Let’s open up our hearts and lives to whatevergood works that we were created in Christ for. Where will that lead you today? Where will it lead me?

For we are God’shandiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works. Yep.


No comments:

Post a Comment