Thursday, August 23, 2012

Righteous Acts (Chicken Sandwich)


(From August 6, 2102)


“Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.” – James 1:22

This is probably going mean that I need to do more than just eat a chicken sandwich for lunch.   

Which I did do yesterday.  I also attended four committee meetings, did two hospital visits, one home visit, finished some much needed preaching planning (I’m planned out for the remainder of the year- yea!).  I also donated considerably more than I spent at the chicken restaurant to a wonderful ministry within the denomination that is struggling right now. 

Yet, I’m not so sure if this is what brother James was getting at when he was compelled by the Spirit to write the words I quoted above.  Especially the eating at a particular restaurant part. I think of the prophet’s Joel’s words that read, “Even now,” declares the Lord, “return to me with all your heart, with fasting and weeping and mourning.” And James says, “Do what it says.” Darn James!

You see, I could have done all that I managed to do yesterday and more, and if I did so without my heart returned to the Lord…well, some of the things I did still might have seemed good (some of you might disagree); but the reality is that all my “righteous acts are like filthy rags” (Isaiah 64:6) if my heart was not where it needed to be. 

It is good to question where your heart is.  I obviously am. I probably have a full slate to deal with today.  I think I’ll make a peanut butter sandwich for lunch.  And may the Lord be praised in all I do… or even in spite of what all I do today…..

No comments:

Post a Comment