Thursday, August 23, 2012

Hearts


(From August 3, 2012)

“But the LORD said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.”  - 1 Samuel 16:7

This passage is about the choosing of king for Israel. Samuel is told to look at the sons of Jesse of Bethlehem to anoint the new king. Apparently Samuel is less than impressed with what he sees.  As a matter of fact, the one, the youngest, that Samuel was to anoint was left behind to tend the sheep.  No one thought David would be the one.

Except God.  Who knew what was in his heart.

Which gives me some pause.  What is in my heart this morning? I need to mow the grass, really need to do some significant yard work, need to get ready for a funeral tomorrow.  It’s been a tremendously busy week.  So what is in my heart this morning?

Sometimes I think that it is not what is in your heart at any one particular time that matters.  The passage says “the LORD looks at the heart.”  I think this is about potential.  If again, my standing with God depended upon what was always in my heart at any one particular time, I’d be in trouble.  Deep trouble.

But.…

My heart, as busy/scattered/aching/whatever as it may be this morning, will return to where it needs to be. I’ve been a follower and truster in Christ long enough now (32 years) that there is a stubborn security that has developed.  I know that if he looks in my heart, there are going to be times that he is not going to like what he sees.  For that I’m sorry; for that he forgives.  I know that there will be times when I am far closer to what he would like to have of me all the time. Those are good times.  Maybe sometimes, occasionally, I make my maker smile.  Sometimes.

It’s about grace.  That is what makes this imperfect truster and follower of Christ smile.  And that is why while the concept concerns be a bit (and it should, it’s called conscience), having the LORD look at my heart doesn’t deeply bother me anymore.  God is good all the time.

I have the sliding glass door open to allow the cool morning air in. I think I can hear the grass growing.  I need to get busy.  And stay heartfully grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment