Monday, October 1, 2012

Light


 “Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed. But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what they have done has been done in the sight of God.”  - John 3:20-21

Saturday I had to drive south to Fairmont, West Virginia (about 45 minutes away).  The morning here was cool, dark and, for Southwest Pennsylvania, quite foggy.  Everything was gray and damp. Even my Dodger blue vibe took on a dark ashen hue for the trip.  The roads were wet, and the surrounding hills were well hidden in the clinging clouds.

A mile or two into West Virginia, I crested a hill and suddenly the sun broke out, revealing a kaleidoscope of color.  The road went from dark gray to a sharp black, the surrounding trees divulged an explosion of fall color.  My car was blue again! The dark had transformed to a bright and beautiful morning. Almost heaven.

The apostle John frequently contrast light and darkness.  Believers and trusters in Christ are called to follow the light of the world (visit John 8:12); eventually we are told if we follow him we will be light in the world (visit Matthew 5:14)  Christ states that those who follow the light “will never walk in darkness.  I believe what Jesus says.

However, clearly we can be influenced by the dark.  Sometimes even fooled.  These days, often I do feel that there are forces even within the church that are calling us to march into the darkness.  I’m guessing this is nothing new, just the prevailing march seems awfully murky.  We need to recognize it for what it is.

The good news is this – if we have the light, he won’t allow us to remain in the dark.  His love is far too bright for that.  The cool gray mornings will always be replaced by brilliant sunshine. And whoever lives by the truth comes into the light….”  Sooner or later.  God wins! I read the book.

Have a great day in the light!

2 comments:

  1. Chris- I have no idea who you are, but your writing is marvelous. I take from your profile that you are a pastor. I know from my experience how tough that can be. But if your writing is any indication, the Lord is using you greatly. I'm glad a friend suggested I read through this blog. We may never meet, but you've minsitered to me greatly over the past few weeks...

    -Sarah McKirdy, Oregon....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah thanks. The joy is found in being used by God - often in spite of myself. Thank you for the affirmation.

      Delete