Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Words

“May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.” -Psalm 19:14

For those who have church backgrounds this little snippet of Psalm 19 should certainly ring a bell.  Generations after generation of pastors have said these words just prior to preaching their sermon each and every Sunday.  In my 12 years of preaching, I have so resisted, simply because the repeated words seem to have become a rote expression; having lost any meaning through the years of hearing them over and over again.  The Lord’s Prayer can get that way also, I suppose.

And it isn’t that I don’t want my words on any given Sunday to be pleasing in the Lord’s sight.  I do.  But what about…Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and….so forth?   You see we Christ trusters and followers sometimes tend to compartmentalize our lives.  Come on guys, you really know that is true.  We might expect to hear such words as found in Psalm 19 on Sunday, and we might even breath out those words on the Lord’s day.  But come Monday….

Here’s a question for a Wednesday.  If you were arrested today for being a Christian, would there be enough evidence to convict you?  That questions needs to be asked of me also.

Peter writes, “If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ.” (visit 1 Peter 4:11) And I’m guessing that applies to every day of the week.

So as you go about whatever the Lord has for you to do today…think on these words. Consider them deeply. “May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.”

Will your words be such? I know it’s not Sunday, but…..

No comments:

Post a Comment