Monday, October 15, 2012

Prosperity


'For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.Jeremiah 29:11

Every time I read this passage, a visual comes to mind.  A man, slightly plump, wearing a bathing suit and a Hawaiian type shirt, sitting on a beach chair under an umbrella at the water’s edge.  The sound of squawking seagulls surround him, but then, he’s probably listening to the Beach Boys on his IPod, so the birds don’t bother him.  To me, the visual represents prosperity. 

I do own an IPod; I’ve never liked the beach.  Let’s not get into my physical shape.

And this visual is not what probably came to mind when the Lord gave Jeremiah this great promise. The promise was given through him to Israelites that had been carried away into exile.  They had no idea what their future would look like; hope must have been hard to come by.

But here it is.  Nothing to do with a beach.  Or some slightly plump man.

It had everything to do with adversity.  It still does.

Christ believers and trusters understand that following him is no outing at the beach.  It includes a trip of mistrust, skepticism, ridicule and, frankly, persecution.  Jesus said, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.” (visit Matthew 16:24)

Ouch.  I want that beach chair.

But more than that, I want the hope and a future that the Lord promises.  I do understand it will be on his terms; prosperity can be defined as “flourishing and thriving.”  Mother Teresa flourished and thrived in a most difficult ministry.  I doubt if she own a beach chair.  The promise of Jeremiah means no matter what we are facing, God has our back; good will come from it.  Faithfulness will be rewarded.  Believers have an ultimate promise to bank on.

Guess I’ll be rid of the beach chair.  Can I keep my IPod?

No comments:

Post a Comment