Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Numb


The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it? “I the Lord search the heart and examine the mind, to reward a man according to his conduct, according to what his deeds deserve.” Jeremiah 17:9-10

Some of the pain is wearing off.  The pain of what happened in Newtown, Connecticut is turning over to a bit of resigned detachment.  At least for me.  I can’t imagine the pain that families in Newtown are experiencing; so because I can’t imagine it, I have become, not unconcerned, but resigned to the situation I guess. 
                                                                    
For all my friends that are so passionate, well, good for you.  If you feel tightened gun laws will make things better, go for it. There was a time when I would have quickly joined you in the effort. On the other hand, if you feel that relaxed gun laws are the ticket, that the thought that someone might be packing is going to be a deterrent, well, go for it.  I understand that it works well in the right situation.  There are statistics that back up that point of view.

I’m not a gun owner, but I have no passion for any legal or political debate or action following the atrocity in Connecticut.  Because all of the debate misses the point.  Humanity, at its core is damaged.  Yep, we are damaged goods.  Always have been and nothing has changed.  Don’t believe me?  I ran into an article yesterday afternoon that talked about the worst U.S. school massacre ever.  Nope, didn’t happen Friday; didn’t happen in last 10 or 20 or 50 years.  It took place way back in 1927 when a man bombed a school killing 45 including 38 children. I’ll include a link to wiki article below. 

The point is the problem is…people.  We are damaged goods.  Jeremiah knew it way back when…  He writes, “The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?”

Then he adds, “I the Lord search the heart and examine the mind, to reward a man according to his conduct, according to what his deeds deserve.”  That my friends, is a frightening thought.  If the Lord only knew what was on my heart sometimes…  Well, the problem, he does know what is on my heart.  All the time.  That is why Jesus could say things like, “You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘Do not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment.” (visit Matthew 5:21-22)

Jesus knew what we are like…deep in our hearts.

But ultimately Jesus was about grace.  And that is why we so need Jesus today.  As I told my congregation on Sunday, such acts of violence cannot be rationally explained or theologically dismissed.  But the need for the grace is stronger than ever and Jesus is the answer.  If ever there has been a time for Jesus, it is now.

Grace for me for being numb. Grace for all of us for having ‘deceitful hearts.’  Grace for thinking that the answer lies in changing politics and laws. Grace, because Jesus is the way through all this.  He is the one who can, not just forgive hearts, but change them also.  The answer for our hearts is Jesus.  Always has been. Nothing has changed. 

Thank God.

No comments:

Post a Comment