Friday, July 26, 2013

Justice



It is well with the man who deals generously and lends; who conducts his affairs with justice. - Psalm 112:5

I ran into a blog the other evening about Christians.  To summarize, the blog writer said that the Christians she know are the most arrogant, bigoted, ungenerous and mean spirited people she has ever met.  I immediately closed out of the browser and fumed silently about what I had read. Seemed so unjust.

The next morning I received this Scripture in an email from Bible Gateway.  It read, “It is well with the man who deals generously and lends; who conducts his affairs with justice.”  

I have tried to find the blog again, to perhaps engage the author in a conversation.  I can’t find it.  Maybe it’s just as well.  I realize that I got angry about what she wrote because, per her experience (and perhaps sometimes mine), there is some truth in what she writes.  And especially with what I see on social media, like Facebook, too many people that claim to have Jesus as their Lord and Savior post things that confound even me.  Really people!  And shame on me if I have done so also. Sometimes, I suppose, we all can be double-minded. (visit James 1:8)

I do understand that Christians do not have the market cornered on arrogance, bigotry, meanness and tightfistedness; but frankly I don’t understand why we’d even be in the market to begin with.  I’m reminded that “the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,  gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. (visit Galatians 5:22,23).

It doesn’t mean that we shy away from truth, but it does mean we approach the truth with humility, love and justice.  And when we do…maybe, just maybe we’ll make a friend or two in the name of Jesus.  And blogs out there that are scorching Christians will become less and less.

Maybe. Maybe not. 

But.  It’s not a bad thing to conduct our affairs with justice.  And to those of you that already are...thank you. 

You are a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment