Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Filth


Therefore put away all filthiness and rampant wickedness and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls.”  - James 1:21

It’s easy to read this passage from James and think, “Yes, I sure know people this applies to!”

And I do.  And I see one of them every day.  He gets me angry, I just want to grab him by the collar and just shake him and scream, “Wake up! God loves you more than you know and wants you to change your ways.”  Like I said, I see him every day.  In the mirror.

If you read this verse and immediately thought of someone in your life that the verse should apply to, you are misunderstood the verse. The verse’s application is intentionally and deeply personal. After all, Jesus warned his followers to check that tree trunk we have in our eyes prior to pointing out the crumb in someone else’s eye. (visit Luke 6:41,42)

James (the brother of Jesus) urges his readers (me!) to put away all my filthiness and rampant wickedness.  OK James, don’t hold back now. How do you really feel about it?  Filthiness and rampant wickedness.  In other words, the way we naturally are. Maybe I should only speak of myself.  The way I naturally am…far too often…still.  Just how does James get such an insightful view of my heart?  I try to hide it so well.

James opens his sentence noisily but closes it quietly.  He says, “receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls.”

God’s word, written (implanted) on our hearts. Received in all humbleness and humility. 

The reality is that being a Christian is nothing to boast of; the benefits we receive from Christ are to be received in all meekness.  His saving of our souls is a priceless gift that is so unearned and undeserved.  I also see his salvation every day.  In the mirror. I am blessed. He saves filth. 

Like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment