Friday, May 31, 2013

War (Pt. 2)

And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man.  Revelation 21:2,3

Earlier in the week I lamented on my longing for an end to war.  I’ve always had a bit of a pacifist streak in me, and on rare occasion it still raises its ugly (or is it beautiful?) head.  While I quoted Isaiah 2:4, a friend of mine rightfully reminded me that Jesus said, “…you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not alarmed, for this must take place, but the end is not yet. Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places.” (visit Matthew 24:6,7)

Yep, it is in the reality we live.  My pacifist leanings will not change the actuality. But Jesus’ words do not negate Isaiah’s prophecy.  The time when people “shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore” is simply not here. 

Yet

But it is coming.  The passage above from John’s Apocalypse (known as Revelation) is about that time. It is known as the second coming; the second advent of Christ on earth.  Frankly, I look forward to the day and pray for it to happen.

As I see it, things are just winding down and the time is near.  I’m not predicting when, for no-one knows the time except God the Father (visit Matthew 24:36).  But I live in expectation.

Of a time. When people “shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore.” 

Come, Lord Jesus!

1 comment:

  1. Jesus adds in Mt. 24:9, still speaking to his disciples, that "you will be hated by all nations for my name's sake." The warring nations will not only hate each other, but also hate Jesus' disciples, who speak against their hatred and violence. Thus, in the U.S. (as elsewhere), "pacifist" is usually considered a bad word.

    ReplyDelete