Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Boston


Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand, For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures….” 1 Corinthians 15:1, 3-4

As I sit down to write a brief reflection on this passage (that I received via email), I am in prayer for the situation in Boston.  Less than an hour after the bombing, I am reminded, yet again, of the fallen nature of humanity.  Laying blame at this moment means little to me; it is yet another hideous example of what we humans do to each other.  Too often.  Everywhere.  No land is exempt.  And no group of humans is innocent. Nothing that divides us is worth this sort of violence. 

The passage is one that ministers to me right now.  The one thing that we have to hang on to…. Is the promise of what Christ came to do and accomplished.  The gospel is what I cling to.  In times like these.  Yes I pray.  I pray for the victims and their families.  I pray also for the perpetrator(s). I do.  I’m also thankful that stories of good and heroism will come out of outrage. Sometimes we humans rise to the occasion.

All I know is that there is a truth that should be bringing us peace.  It is of first importance.  It is what drives me.  It is what causes me to love goodness and detest that which is evil. 

Let us be reminded that “light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.” (John1:5)  And for our own personal darkness…Christ died. 

The light will win.

No comments:

Post a Comment