Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Freedom

To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” John 8:31-32

I don’t know about you, but I have seen the last half of Jesus declaration used and abused.  You know, the part that says, “Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

I have seen that phrase applied to everything from civil law to personal morality to Lance Armstrong.  Yes last night, I heard a commentator use Jesus’ phrase when talking about the apparent admission that the cyclist has made to Oprah Winfrey about doping and drug use in his cycling career. 

Problem is, according to Jesus here, just admitting you’re wrong (speaking personal truth) will not be the thing that sets you free.  It may be a good thing to do, but that is not where true freedom is found.

Jesus said: “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”  Do not ignore the “if” and the “then.” This is a conditional phrase.   The freedom of the last sentence hinges totally on holding to Jesus’ teachings.  Totally.

The freedom is not based on truths you and I might feel or invent.  It’s based on the teachings of Jesus.  Grace-filled, honest, sometimes jarring.  Inclusive yet very un-inclusive.  Loving and, at times, condemning. Thrilling and redundant. 

Do you want to be free?  Then re-read John 8:31 and 32….

1 comment:

  1. Honestly...what a good and true word for the morning. Thank you Pastor.....

    -Kim

    ReplyDelete