Monday, June 10, 2019

Brood VIII


“…locusts have no king, yet they advance together in ranks…” Proverbs 30:27

Just before Memorial days, they started appearing.  Brood VIII.  Cicadas.  All over our yard.  

Gross.

When I was a much younger Christian, I created a long list of questions I wanted to ask God when the time came. As I have aged, the list has dwindled greatly. Not because my questions have all been answered, but because the urgency has left me.  I think as I have matured, my ultimate trust in what God has, is, and will do has mellowed my need for answers.  I have confidence in what God is doing, and in that confidence lie answers to questions that…I no longer feel the need for more immediate solutions to.  God is good, his will is perfect. And I’m OK with that.

Except…maybe…cicadas.

I think I’d like to ask the Lord why they exist. And then exit. Every 17 years. To create a mess.  To make a lot of noise. And then. Disappear. Next appearance – the year 2036.

I suppose, if you really look at it, the various ‘broods’ of Cicadas are amazing. How is it they have managed to synchronize the coming of age every 17 years is rather astonishing.  Scientists will tell you that it’s an adaptation of the insect that assures the species survival by showing up in overwhelming numbers.

Or...is it just another example of the amazing things that God has created and ordained?  The quote from Proverbs above is from a section of the book that starts out by saying, “Four things on earth are small, yet they are extremely wise.”

Maybe the wisdom being shown here is God’s after all. Having the multitude (if not millions) of insects show up at the amazing same time to assure survival of the species….shows wisdom. And I believe it to be the wisdom of the Creator. 

Which goes back to my list of questions. As quickly as I add a question about cicadas onto my list…I take it off.  God knows what he is doing, he is good, and his will is perfect. And I’ll remain OK with that.

Even if the bugs are gross.

No comments:

Post a Comment