Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Thirst



God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you; my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water. Psalm 63:1

I’ve lived there. In a dry and weary land.

I also just completed a week of service in such a place.  The Navajo Indian reservation is a dry and weary land if there ever was one.  At times, the hunt for water there is anxious. King David knew all about such lands, as Israel was such a realm. David compared where our heads and hearts should be to the feeling of being desperate for the slightest bit of moisture and the tiniest morsel of bread.

On our own, we are dry.  On our own, we are faint.  We thirst and hunger for something more. Sometimes we look in the right direction, sometimes we look in erroneous directions.  Sometimes we just forget to look, and live resigned to thirst and hunger.  It’s easy to get complacent and used to the conditions of the desert.

Then I’m reminded.  Even the desert has its moments.  In northeast Arizona its called monsoon season.  This year, the early part of September saw some flooding; there was evidence of an ample supply of rain water in recent weeks.  Although experience tells me that it will soon revert back to the dry and weary land it really is.

But seeking God has its monsoon moments.  When all is watered and the thirst and hunger go away.

Enjoy those moments. Remember from whom they come. But.  Stay thirsty and hungry for the source. 

No comments:

Post a Comment