Thursday, October 10, 2013

Children



"My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.- 1 John 2:1

I’ve reached an age where I don’t like being called a child.  Truth be told, I probably reached that age 45 years ago, but still.  I don’t like it.  So when I read the beginning of the sentence penned by the apostle John, I start to bristle.  “My little children….”  Who is he talking to?

The answer is: me.  And you.

I am reminded that Jesus once said, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.” (visit Matthew 18:3)  Yikes!

John in the passage above is just addressing Jesus’ trusters and followers as they; err, we should be addressed.  And he is giving his children a simple child-like truth.  Learn not to sin; but if you do, we have one who get the sin forgiven – Jesus.  The adult in me doesn’t like to admit that I sin.  The child in me not only admits that I sin, but rejoices in the fact that my sin is forgiven.

The adult in me gets very prideful.  The child in me gets wide eyed with wonder.  May the child in me win over the adult in me.    

Children…rejoice!

No comments:

Post a Comment