Thursday, March 14, 2013

No!


But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. - 2 Corinthians 12:9

(This post springs from a Facebook conversation of two years ago that I recently revisited.)

One of my favorite hymns is "Spirit of God, Descend upon my Heart." Love the melody and the harmonies that emanate from it. However, it ends with the phrase, "teach me the patience of unanswered prayer." I don't like that phrase, simply because I think all prayers are answered; sometimes 'yes,' sometimes 'no,' sometimes 'not yet.'

The 'not yet' part is also frequently 'no' I'll admit, but the impact of the 'no' is cushioned by time. Because, as many have experienced, 'no' hurts. No (or unanswered prayer) is just difficult; for me the wisdom of this type of answer shows itself only after some passage of time. It is usually only then can I, in all honesty, say "Thank God." But it takes time. Sometimes years.

So when my impatience level rises (as it frequently does), I have to look back at both when God answered my prayers 'yes,' and when, in His wisdom, the answer was no. And remember. This is done frequently in the Psalms.

I am reminded of when the apostle Paul pleaded with God to remove some sort of "thorn' in his flesh. The answer he got was "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." The answer was no; it must have hurt terribly to receive that answer, but in time Paul realized that whatever this thorn was allowed him to be used more by Christ.  In His power and wisdom. 

His grace is sufficient; I try, in my weakness to remember and be thankful.

Sometimes I actually achieve it....

No comments:

Post a Comment