Monday, September 10, 2012

Gray

“Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, " I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain" you and I will rescue you.” – Isaiah 46:4

Boy did this passage hit home this morning. I’m feeling my age. Not so much the “gray hairs” (I have my share – I’ve earned every one), but the never ending ache in my left knee accompanied by the newish need to have a cane near me in case that knee goes loopy on me.

I’m getting old.

In November, my 23 year old son is taking me to see The Who. Our conversation went something like this:

“Dad, want to do see The Who together?”

“Son, do you think they're still any good?”

“Dad, they’re not dead yet.”

Actually, half of them are dead. I was 21 when the first Who died.

I’m getting old.

But God’s Word says, “Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, "I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you.”

So I wonder how this is going to work. As I get older, will I continue to understand that it is He that will sustain me? Will I still recognize the One who made me, carries me, rescues me…even loves me? I think so. I’d better.

It’s not the orthopedist that will do so. Oh, someday he might do something that will make my knee feel healthier; but even then, I suspect that his knowledge and skill will be, ultimately, a gift from the One who made and is sustaining him. Even if he doesn’t know it.

I’m getting old. But the one who made me is still carrying me, sustaining me, and rescuing me. He’ll need to. Because…

I’m getting old.

1 comment:

  1. The cane isnt so bad...folks hold doors for you...and my thirty year old son took my wife and i to see the kingston trio awhile back...talk about getting old...and the cane isnt so bad folks hold the door for you.........

    ReplyDelete