Monday, September 24, 2012

Confidence


So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded. You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised.” Hebrews 10:35-36

What do you have confidence in?  If you are like me, we have confidence in a lot of different things.  I’m confident that my car will get me to the church this morning; I’m confident I’m prepared enough that the funeral I’m officiating this morning will go well.  I’m confident that today is going to be another beautiful fall day in southwest Pennsylvania.

Confidence.

The writer of Hebrews has to remind his readers not to “throw away your confidence….”  Which gets to a point that may be a little hard to see, especially if we have much confidence.  Because we can have confidence in the wrong things, and in doing so we lose confidence in the one right thing.

Even as a pastor I battle this.  My days frequently are busy, perhaps too busy.  In my busyness, I rely (have confidence) on things (cars, personal preparation, weather) that can supplant the one thing I need to always have confidence in.

Jesus.

The passage says that we remain in his confidence, we will be “richly rewarded.”  So as we start a new week –where is your confidence?  Where is mine?  May it be in the One, who knit you together in your mother’s womb.  May it be in the One who wants to give you “what he has promised.”

Jesus.  And be confident.

No comments:

Post a Comment