Thursday, January 29, 2015

Back



So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. - Isaiah 41:10

Last Monday I had the privilege of holding a brief (out in the wet snow) graveside service for a person who had passed away early in the month. I pondered what Scripture I should share, I zeroed in on Isaiah 41:10. I did so because it really spoke to me; as I contemplated it I took great comfort.  Isaiah writes, “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”

I shared that so much of the time, we tend to feel, is up to us.  Including our salvation, we want…we insist, on being in charge. Yet early on in the Bible prophets like Isaiah already knew the score.  If it were up to us…seriously...then we all would fail.  So God through Isaiah basically says….don’t fret. I’ve got your back.  

Got fear? I am with you.  Dismayed? I am your God.  Weak and anxious?  I will strengthen you; I will help you; I will uphold you in my hand.

All the action here is on God’s part.  100%

Jesus embodied this concept all the way to the cross.  Sometimes we think we have work and earn our salvation.  Our salvation has already been accomplished by Jesus on the cross.  He did all the dirty work. Worried about it?  Jesus has our back. You still have to accept Jesus' work (visit Romans 10:9), ultimately you have trust that he did what he came to do.

So it is at times like this, when we stand at the grave, that we should take great comfort in what Scripture has to say.  Ultimately trust in Jesus.  And allow him to have our backs.

The work has been done….

And I, for one, am grateful. 

1 comment: