Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Timing



He said to them, “It is not for you to know times or seasons that the Father has fixed by his own authority.” Acts 1:7

Luke records these as some of Jesus’ last words before he ascended into heaven.  Of course, he said this after being asked, “Lord, will you at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?

Bad question at the wrong time, I guess.  The point Jesus makes is that everything, and he means everything, is under God’s control.

Even the seasons.

We’ve now entered my favorite season of the year.  Fall.  Days have cooled off and dried out, night are delightful.  I know a lot of you don’t like this time of year simply because of what comes next.  Winter.  Is it going to be a bad winter? While some are saying yes, let me quote our Lord, “It is not for you to know times or seasons that the Father has fixed by his own authority.

It will be what it will be.  It is God’s under control. I guess I can go with that.

Which reminds me.  What season are you in now?  Are there better…or worse seasons coming?  The answer is yes. To both.

But.  The more you know about our God the more you can trust him.  Proverbs 3:5 says, “Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.”

That sort of trust makes questions like, “Lord, will you at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?” or “is it going to be a bad winter?” or “what is my next season going to be like?” rather mute.  Important, yes.  But the answers lie in God’s sovereignty and love.  He is in control, he is love, now can we trust him in what is to come?

I want to answer yes, and most of the time I do.  I know I should without fail, but I am as human as anyone else. I’ll keep working on it.  How about you?  Whatever season you find yourselves in, look to the Lord and know what is to come is fixed by his own authority.

And let’s work on the trust together.  It is fall. And what is to come is fixed by his own authority.   

Thank God.

No comments:

Post a Comment