Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Monday



I will never forget your precepts, for by them you have given me life. - Psalm 119:93

Monday, 12:30 p.m.

After leading the Summer’s Best Two Weeks staff in a devotional this morning, my phone started ringing.  A person associated with our church had passed away.  A short time later, the phone rang again, this time with my Presbytery exec wanting to get together with me and plan out a gathering we are scheduling at the church in September. Then I received a text about a meeting tomorrow night that I had not been thinking about (euphemism for, “I forgot”). Then a church volunteer gave me a note about another person associated with the church that is hospitalized in Pittsburgh – I really need to go do a visit.  I managed to get my sermon started (my typical Monday routine), and I’m getting ready to lead our staff meeting. 

Then I am reminded of this verse from Psalm 119, I will never forget your precepts, for by them you have given me life.

I am reminded yet again, that even in the business of ministry…we can forget.  Sometimes we just get too busy.  And it is not that any of it is bad stuff.  Often quite to the contrary. But we can forget.  His precepts; the one who has given me, not just my ministry, but the very breath I take, the very life that sometimes I take for granted.

Slow down, take that breath…and remember.

Don’t let Mondays take over.  There is something far more important. His name is Jesus.  And he rules over Monday too.

Have a great week everyone.  And don’t forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment