Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Prophet



Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world.  - Hebrews 1:1-2

There’s a part of me that longs to be spoken to by a prophet.  That someone would walk up to me and say – “This is what God is telling you (“Thus sayeth the Lord”)….” And then just let me have it.  Because I deserve a good tongue lashing or two from a prophetic and faithful voice.

I know won’t like it; in fact I might actually reject what is being told to me because it might hit in private places that they have no business prying into. I’m such a typical evangelical. I guess there are just times when I wish the Lord would just let me have it and tell it to me plainly.

But we are reminded; in these last days we have been spoken to by his Son.  And we have entered a time of preparation to celebrate the birth of this son into the world.  As a baby.   I can’t visualize a baby yelling at me to get my act in order.

But I can almost hear the words of Jesus telling me that he loves me, that he came because of me and my sin; that he went to the cross because of me; that he rose from the dead for me.  That he has called me into some sort of covenant relationship with him, and that his grace will not fail even if I do.

Wow. I don’t need a prophet.  I have Jesus.

What more could I ask for? What more could I possibly need?

No comments:

Post a Comment