Thursday, December 19, 2013

Angels



“But as he considered these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, son of David, do not fear to take Mary as your wife, for that which is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins.” Luke 1:68-70

God wants to have a word with you.  And me.  How best would he get through to you?  I’m not sure using an angel to reach me would be the best, but then, I’ve never experienced a message from an angel before. Well, maybe….

I am reminded that the word ‘angel’ as its basic means, "messenger" or "envoy."  I was also prompted at a gathering yesterday that in Revelation 1 (and 2)  the angels of the seven churches” are clearly the pastors or overseers of the churches that John has been given a message himself to give.  The pastors being messengers or envoys who are bringing God’s word to his people.

Running with that definition, well then I have definitely have received messages from angels.  I do every time I open up the Scriptures.  Every time. I do at every worship service. I do when a friend or colleague has a godly word or two or three to give me.

There are writers out there in the blogosphere who I read nearly daily that inform, teach, challenge and sometimes frighten me.  Using the above definitions, they are angels; and to a person they frequently tell me, “do not fear” in spite of what may be going on in my life or in my world.

Angels.

God has his messengers (and yes some of them are angelic beings as seen in Luke 1).  The big question is whether you or I are open to hearing from angels.  And what the angels may be telling us, and what God through his angels has for us to do.

Joseph needed to hear from and Angel of the Lord.  You know what? So do we.

No comments:

Post a Comment