Friday, July 19, 2013

OK



For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. - Romans 1:16

Earlier in the week, I wrote a reflection on James 1:21 in which I rather ardently admitted that I am basically unworthy (I used James’ term ‘filth’) based on any merit I feel I have earned myself.  Far too frequently my thoughts, and hopefully less so, my actions, are immoral – at least when held up to the light and holiness of the one I profess to follow.  I am much as what Paul wrote about himself, “when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand.” (I encourage you to visit, read and consider Romans 7:21-24)

A couple of you even private messaged me to assure me that I was being too harsh on myself, and wanted to know if I was OK.  I thank you for the concern; I was not being overly harsh on myself, I know that I am no better or worse than anyone else. And I am gloriously OK.

Romans 1:16 reminds me yet again why I am so OK in spite of what I am far too frequently.  For I am the recipient of “the power of God for salvation” that was given “to the Jew first and also to the Greek.”

Because I know what I am; because I know that for some reason I have received his salvation; I, like Paul, “am not ashamed of the gospel.”  Honest self-reflection notwithstanding, the gospel lifts off of my shoulders the weight that sin should be piling on them.  Jesus’ own words now mean so much: “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” (visit Matthew 11:28-30)

Thank God. Thank you Jesus.

I’m not ashamed of the gospel, in fact I’m downright indebted to it. 

And, yes, I’m OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment