Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Bite My Tongue


“Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.” - Ephesians 4:29

Well. Ahem. The apostle Paul is calling out some church members for their words. What I don’t understand is that when I read the apostle Paul, it feels as if he is speaking directly to me.

Let me paraphrase what Paul is saying: “If what you have to say isn’t helpful – bite your tongue. But if you have something helpful to say in a certain situation, go ahead.

Sounds like common sense. Interesting that Paul has to remind his readers – me – to use common sense. I guess being a believer and truster in Christ doesn’t always mean that I have to share every last thought that comes to mind. Nor does it always mean that I am to have the last word in everything. Oh, how I wish political candidates would follow what is written here. Then they would surely…. Oh, there I go again.

Bit my tongue….

No comments:

Post a Comment