Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Ransom



“…knowing that you were ransomed from the futile ways inherited from your forefathers, not with perishable things such as silver or gold, but with the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without blemish or spot.” - 1 Peter 1:18,19

As I think on this passage, I think about futile ways in which we try to ransom ourselves.  Think about it.  How many of us have tried to ransom ourselves with money.  We think, if only I had enough/more/a lot/, my life would be /better/great/perfect.

Some of us try to ransom ourselves by self-medicating.  Not happy with who and what we are we turn to /alcohol/drugs/co-dependency/to break loose/reward/feel good.

Sometimes we try to ransom ourselves by escape.  This is probably me if I think about it.  I love nothing better than to dive into a good book/movie/computer game to lift myself up from the doldrums/dissatisfaction/boredom of everyday life.

All of these things can be substitute saviors.  The reading from 1 Peter is just an easy reminder; that there nothing we can do, from tradition to self-help that will ransom us.  Frankly the  ransom has already been paid with the “precious blood of Christ.”  The victory over what all has us chained down has been achieved.

What are you in need to being ransomed from today?  Turn it over to the one who bled. For you. The price has already been paid. Trust in what he did to pay it.

No comments:

Post a Comment