Friday, April 5, 2013

TRW

 
In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace…. - Ephesians 1:7

There are many people these days, even inside the church, that wish the whole idea of Jesus’ shedding of blood…would just go away.  And in some respects, I sympathize a little.

The shedding of Jesus’ blood is uncomfortable; it seems, to some, a relic of thinking from bygone days.   The idea that someone had to be slain...in order to forgive our sins is, in our enlightened day and age, archaic.  We’re better than that now.  Violence solves nothing.  And really.  Sin?  Are you serious? There is still such a thing?

OK.

There used to be a show on MTV called TRW (The Real World).  I guess there still is. Honestly, I have never seen it, but always liked the title. I think it was (and still is) one of the first of the so-called reality programs; following some sort of family/friend units through every day and real life.

Like I said, I’ve never seen the show; but I always liked the title.  Sometimes when I get a rude awakening to the realities of life, I quickly murmur under my breath, “TRW.”  As if to say to myself, “Welcome to The Real World.” 

For people who feel that the shedding of Jesus’ blood for sin is an antiquated thought, here’s my heartfelt advice: TRW.

I see myself.  I see the world around me.  And unfortunately, I see sin.  Aplenty.  The apostle Paul wrote this nearly 200 years ago, “For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing.” (visit Romans 7:19)  man, do I know that feeling.  I do. What can I say? TRW

That is why this old fashioned idea of Jesus shedding his blood for us…is still essential. Nothing has changed.  The only archaic idea is that which denies the necessity and work of Jesus.  Both are realities.  And he did so for you and me.   Because we sin.  We struggle with doing good.  Evil…wins out far too often. 

Jesus+blood = grace.

TRW

No comments:

Post a Comment