Friday, April 26, 2013

More


And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us. - I John 5:14

A full week is winding down.  I think I am ready for my second funeral of the week; the sermon is mostly together for Sunday (I think). This, coming off serving at an exhilarating but exhausting Walk to Emmaus (sort of a retreat) weekend in West Virginia.  I haven’t been home much; I’ll need to reintroduce myself to Susie.

I ache for a couple of families in our church. Both lost husbands and fathers and brothers at a far too young of an age.  The sadness and stress is etched in friend's faces.  I have done my best to offer the hope of the gospel, but more than that I count on the Holy Spirit to work through me…in spite of myself.  By the way, that is my daily prayer.  That the one who is “greater than I (to quote John the Baptist – visit Mark 1:7) will work through me…in spite of myself.

There have been many prayers, and this I know: it is not that I count on God be some sort of cosmic genie that grants my every desire; I simply trust that prayers are heard and are being answered, according to his will and drenched in his grace.  Lord, be with these families.  

He hears us.  And I work in confidence that he is good and that his will is perfect.  More of him, and less of me (paraphrasing John the Baptist –visit John 3:30). 

And all will be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment