Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Change



Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.   James 1:17

I don’t know about you, but I don’t like change.  Change is never easy.  I like the comfort of routine and repetition; many pastors do.  Sometimes the ruts just guide you to where you want to go.  Again and again and again.

Yet, it is a season of change for Susie and me.  As uncomfortable as it may be.

I have announced to my congregation, Third Presbyterian Church in Uniontown, Pennsylvania, my plans to resign as pastor, effective May 1.  It’s been an always interesting and at times extremely rewarding ministry over the past almost nine years.  In some ways I do this coming off maybe one of the better years (at least numerically) of my ministry.

Yet.

It is time for a change.  We’ve known that for almost a year now.  And we couldn’t ignore it.  The Spirit has been nagging on us.

Even in the midst of change, and we all go through it, I take great comfort.  So should you.  No matter what you are going through, the God of “every perfect gift” does not change no matter what the circumstances you find yourself in today.  Or what they may be tomorrow.  In our God we have One in which “there is no variation or shadow due to change.”    

This Sunday is Easter, although I prefer the phrase “Resurrection Sunday.”  We celebrate the unchangeable truth of what Jesus has done for those who are willing to believe and trust in Him.  As millions have done through the centuries, we shall gather and give thanks from the bottom of our hearts for this “perfect gift.”   The good news does not change. We might; our circumstance certainly will.  But He won’t.  That is a change…or lack of…that you can count on.  Forever.

P.S.

Please be in prayer for Susie and I as we meander about 90 miles to the north and east to start ministry at Marion Presbyterian Church, in Marion Center, PA, at the end of May. Also, please be praying for the congregation at Third Pres.  It is a time of excitement and certainly some sorrow.  Change is never easy.  Did I mention that?

And let’s all be grateful for the One who never, ever changes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment