Thursday, October 24, 2013

Cold



"…Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” – Isaiah 41:10

It’s really a cold and drizzly afternoon as I write this; about 43 degrees and ever gloomy.  I’d much rather have it snow than this.  Maybe tonight they say. We’ll see. I’m fighting off a cold myself; wondering if the chills I feel are just sympathetic reactions to the weather, or something more.  And life seems to be one meeting after another these days – this is ministry? The short answer is, yes, it is part of it.

I’m thinking about how I really need to get my plans for Advent and Christmas 100% shored up; consider what to be preaching in the time between Christmas and Lent; maybe even give some thought to Lent into Easter…And what about all I really need to get done in the next month so I can really be ready for Advent….  I’m thinking in circles.

And then a deeper concern.  My part-time ministry associate is having a potentially serious procedure done on Friday – this seems to have come up in a hurry; hopefully it accomplishes what it is supposed to – in a hurry, for his sake.

And then I’m reminded, “Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Thank you.  I know that.  Just when I get all wrapped up in myself, I place this truth to the back burner.  But God wants this truth on the front burner.  And keep it there.  For I know he is with me; that my dismay I may be feeling has been brought up on my own accord, that my God will strengthen and help me.  He will be holding me in his righteous right hand.  He has so many times before.  There is no reason to think He will fail now.  No reason. No cold will dampen his warmth.

It’s still frigid outside; I’m starting to cough a little bit. If you remember, please say a prayer for Dave Stewart tomorrow.  But I know that God will be with him also.

God is good, all the time. Even when the times are cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment