Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Strength



“…But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.”- Isaiah 40:31

We Americans pride ourselves on our independence and strength.  I’m no different. I like to think that I’m a self-made man, having been blessed to have had a good career and then even more blessed to move over to a second career that I chose and studied for.  We like to believe that we are the masters of our own universe, the ruler of our house, the ________ (you fill in the blank with the proper cliché.)

Yet as I enjoy a few moments of silence on a scorching summer afternoon, I remember yet again that my second career was not of my choosing; it was chosen for me.  Any pride I get from this career is short lived and foolish.  I was blessed, almost luckily so, to have a first career that afforded me the ability to move over to my second career as a pastor, but I am reminded that much of the benefits that I have enjoyed from my first career were fought for by people that long preceded me.

I sit here again concerned that my sister is desperately ill, that I in my strength can’t do a stupid thing about it.  Especially from 2500 miles away. 

Suddenly, I don’t feel so strong.

And…that is a good thing.

Leaning on our own strength is folly.  I know that.  There is one who is open, able and willing to carry us through the weak times.  We are told “they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.

But nowhere does it say that the strength, wings, and ability to run is something we do on our own power, our own strength.  Frankly, when I look deep inside, I am amazingly weak.  That is OK.  I am reminded on a daily basis that it is as the apostle Paul was told, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” (visit 2 Corinthians 12:9)

Yep.  My strength shall be renewed.  I shall mount up with the power of eagle’s wings. I shall run (ahem, maybe walk quickly) and not be weary.  No fainting is in sight.  But not because of me.  Maybe in spite of me.  For now, I wait upon the Lord.

And…that is a good thing

No comments:

Post a Comment