Thursday, November 15, 2012

Balloon

“Avoid godless chatter, because those who indulge in it will become more and more ungodly.”  - 2 Timothy 2:16

Ugh.

I know this verse is really about either false teaching or just plain gossip in the church.  But as I read it, I couldn’t help but apply it to just what I see around me every day; it also applies to what is sometimes in my heart.

“Godless chatter”.

There is a rather huge scandal going on within the top CIA and military.  It’s all about sex, lies and emails apparently.  Only time and time again I hear in the media, “It’s not about sex. Who cares who he sleeps with?”

Bullfeathers.  I’m guessing the General’s wife cares.  Heartbreakingly.  But this is where we are at in our nation these days. “…those who indulge in it will become more and more ungodly….” 

If you think about it, as a society we are winding down in moral chaos.  I vision it like this: think of a balloon that you have blown up and you let go of the opening and now the balloon just goes firing off in no particular direction, changing course as the balloon size decreases and the air spurts out of the opening.  Where it lands is anyone’s guess.  

So. Where will our society land?  It is anyone’s guess.

Does it matter?  Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord.” (visit Hebrews 12:14)  As we continue into the abyss, we will be missing much.

Gut check time.  Where is my heart?  Where is yours?  If I’m not careful, I might wind up with one of those balloons guiding me also…..

 

No comments:

Post a Comment